Key Issues / Legislation and Policy / Legislative Opportunities and Trends 2011
Legislative Opportunities and Trends 2011
This report, Legislative Opportunities and Trends, establishes the legislative context for examining – and eventually deciding upon – the health bills presented in the 2011 legislative session.
As a state, we have grappled with many of the same issues that are paramount in the Affordable Care Act, the national reform legislation that was signed into law in early 2010. National reform did not emerge from thin air… the hard work of many states, including Colorado, informed and inspired that piece of national legislation. This report provides that context as well.
In recent years, Colorado has grappled with specific health issues, including:
- Transparency and accountability in health and health care;
- Long-term care in low-cost, high-quality sites;
- Scope of practice issues that ensure safety and permit appropriate growth of clinicians;
- Healthier communities; and,
- Patient protections (both in private insurance and publicly funded insurance programs).
The last section of this report highlights some of the bills that will be run in this 2011 legislative session. By providing the historic context and understanding them in terms of the larger issues at hand, we hope to shed light on these complicated and challenging policy areas.